The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT), in accordance with the requirements of US Department of Transportation 49 CFR Part 26, Section 26.39, has developed a VDOT Small Business Enterprise Program (VSBEP) to ensure that Disadvantaged Business Enterprises (DBEs) and small, Women and Minority-Owned Businesses (SWaM) have maximum opportunities to participate in federally funded projects.
The VSBEP is designed to:
- Increase the number of competitively awarded contracts to small businesses
- Maximize contract opportunities
- Minimize contract bundling
- Promote the use of small businesses in VDOT contract and subcontracting opportunities
DBE and SWaM companies in the program will be part of a limited group of companies eligible to participate in certain federally funded contract opportunities reserved for VSBEP.
Effective July 1, 2013, the VDOT has implemented a small business program for set-asides for certain federally funded construction and consultancy contracts of estimated value construction cost of $750,000 or less perand have DBE and SWaM companies certified and pre-qualified (construction only) to compete and carry out work for each selected project in the geographical area of the project.
- The company must have Virginia DBE or SWaM certification.
- The business must be a small one business as defined by SBA standards. Gross revenue must not exceed an annual average of $26.29 million over the company’s last three fiscal years.
- The business owner(s) must have a personal net worth of no more than $1.32 million. The owner’s equity in the primary residence and business interest are excluded from the calculation of net worth. Personal financial report
- Companies must apply/register with the VDOT to participate in the VSBEP.
Application / Registration
DBE registration Certified DBE businesses in Virginia have already met the eligibility criteria to participate in the Small Business Enterprise program. However, companies must meet all the requirements and conditions of the tenders and requests for proposals.
SWam app Certified SWaM companies in Virginia should contact the VSBEP to determine if the company meets the eligibility criteria for participation. Firms approved for the VSBEP must meet all requirements and conditions for bidding and soliciting proposals.
The companies below have been approved for the VSBEP. Acceptance into the program does not supersede the qualifications or requirements of each specific solicitation.
VSBEP Bid Proposal Specification
Page last modified: May 17, 2022